Kidney stones are one of the major urinary problems in India. 5 out of every 10 persons in India can be seen dealing with the problems of stones in their kidneys or urinary tract. Kidney stones are actually the accumulation of sodium and calcium, which, on crystallization, take the form of stones. Stones size may vary from less than 1mm to more than 7mm. Many times, we see a patient using beer for kidney stones.
But is the beer actually an effective remedy for the stone treatment? Here, in this article, we will take a closer look at this question and know the complete truth. So let’s get started.
SYMPTOMS OF KIDNEY STONES
Before starting any treatment, you need to look for the symptoms of the disease. The more severe the symptoms, the more serious the condition. We have mentioned below some of the common symptoms of kidney stones.
- The most common and relevant symptom is having pain in the lower back. The pain is so severe that the patient may feel uncomfortable in all three positions- sitting, standing or lying.
- People who have a stone stuck in their kidneys or urinary tract may feel nausea and vomiting.
- Another symptom related to kidney stones is acidity and gastric issues.
- Some people with a bigger size stone in their urinary tract may even experience blood in their urine.
- When the stone is stuck in the ureter, it becomes difficult for urine to pass through it, thus causing pain during urination.
- Kidney stone patients during the initial stages may observe dark yellow colour urine due to its high concentration.
TYPES OF KIDNEY STONES
There are many types of kidney stones, depending on the cause of their formation. So, before taking any medication or treatment, you must know the kind of stone you are having.
- Calcium Stones- These stones have a high calcium content, either in the form of calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate. About 70 to 80 percent of kidney stones are found to be of this type.
- Uric Acid Stones- These stones are formed due to high uric acid in the kidneys. They constitute 5 or 10 percent of kidney stones.
- Struvite Stones- This type of stone is very rare. They are related to kidney infections caused by specific kinds of bacteria.
BENEFITS OF BEER FOR KIDNEY STONES
Now, let’s answer the question: Is beer good for kidney stones? Research has shown that drinking beer reduces the risk of kidney stones by 40%.
- Drinking a moderate amount of beer each day may help you get rid of your kidney stones, but it would take quite a long time.
- Beer is good for kidney stones because it is found to be a diuretic, i.e. it helps you to urinate often, thus helping you to pass the stone.
- It may be beneficial for the removal of a small stone, less than 5mm. Beer won’t have any effect on bigger stones.
- To help with kidney stones, the recommended amount for women is only 1 drink a day. For men, 2 drinks are allowed in 24 hours, not more than that.
- You must not consume, in any way, more than 12 ounces of beer per day.
- Another condition for consuming beer for kidney stone removal is that you need to keep your body well-hydrated and drink more and more water.
- Always ask your healthcare provider before taking any remedy for the disease. Take advice from your doctor on beer consumption and follow what they recommend.
WHY SHOULD YOU NOT TAKE BEER?
Since you have seen the positive relationship between kidney stones and beer, you must not forget to read the side effects.
- The first disadvantage is that taking beer in excessive amounts can dehydrate your body. Thus, causing your kidney to retain more water and form less urine.
- Due to the above reason, overconsumption of beer can result in the formation of more stones in the kidney and make it hard to pass the existing ones.
- If you have uric acid stones, drop the idea of drinking beer for kidney stones. This is because a high amount of uric acid is found in beer.
- Excessive drinking of beer is harmful because it contains purine and uric acid, which play a significant role in forming stones in your urinary tract.
- Don’t forget that high consumption of beer harms the liver resulting in its dysfunction.
About 40% of people in India might have a kidney stone over their lifetime. Most of the time, we don’t urinate when necessary and control it until the urine becomes pretty concentrated. Also, we don’t drink the required amounts of water. Epidemiology studies show that beer is actually associated with removing kidney stones. But since you have seen so many side effects, drinking beer for kidney stone is not the best choice.
If you are drinking beer, take only a moderate amount. Don’t depend on the beverage to help you pass the stones; go to your doctor before it’s late. Remember, your healthcare provider will recommend you do what is best for you according to the type of stone you have.