A PERFECT DIET PLAN FOR KIDNEY STONE PATIENTS
Kidney stone is a troublesome health disease that is believed to affect more than half a million people, every year. People are seen rushing to the emergency rooms for kidney stone problems. As per the research, every one in ten people experience this problem at one or the other point in life. While there are various other methods of treatment, diet is something that plays a huge role in controlling and preventing the problem. This article is all about an ideal kidney stone diet for the people.
ALL ABOUT THE KIDNEY STONE DIET
There’s no general diet for kidney stone. The diet varies as per the type of kidney stone the person has.
- Cystine stones :
- As in the case of adults, make sure the consumption of the sodium is less than 2,300 mg a day. One should always look for foods that have been labeled: sodium free, or salt free or no salt added, unsalted, and lightly salted.
- Make sure you check the ingredients and the hidden sodium. For example, such as sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda
- Make sure you cook food from scratch. As kidney stone patients, it is better to refrain from consuming processed and fast foods, canned vegetables, and so on.
- Uric Acid Stones
- The intake of animal protein, for example, chicken, pork, beef, fish, eggs, cheese, milk, etc., must be limited as it is one of the factors that increases the chances of kidney stones being developed.
- Replace animal protein with plant-based proteins. For example, legumes. Soy foods, nuts, sunflower seeds.
- Do track your protein intake. Talk to your doctor about how much protein is suitable for your health.
- Eating a diet that makes you lose weight can be really beneficial for people with uric acid stones.
- Calcium Phosphate Stones
- Reduction of sodium in diet is necessary to make sure that the chances of developing kidney stones are reduced to minimum.
- Avoid all the canned food as well as readymade seasonings as they might contain high levels of sodium. Rather, prefer cooking your food.
- Furthermore, animal protein must be limited. Eggs, milk, cheese, beef, etc., must be avoided. Instead, plant protein should be included in the diet. Lentils, peanuts, beans, soy milk, tofu, almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc., are a few examples of plant protein foods.
- Increase the calcium intake. Do not be fooled by the name of this type of kidney stone. Consuming calcium would not aggravate the problem. Infact, if consumed in the right amounts, calcium can block several substances in the digestive tract that may lead to stones. Foods like cereals, breads, vegetables, etc., can come in handy when trying to increase the calcium intake through food.
- Calcium Oxalate Stones
- Reduction of oxalate intake is the primary step. In order to do so a person must avoid nuts, legumes, spinach, rhubarb, white bran, etc. You should consult a doctor in order to find out about other food items that are rich in oxalate and what amount of the intake for those food items shall be harmless to you.
- Reduce sodium. Avoid canned and packed food as well as seasonings and meats.
- Limit animal protein. Opt for plant protein which is easily available in lentils, peas, beans, etc.
- Do not deprive yourself of calcium. However, make sure you monitor the intake. It is believed that the right amount of calcium blocks several kidney stone developing factors. Calcium-fortified juices, cereals, breads, etc., can be included in diet. You may also consult a dietitian to find which food is a good source of calcium for you.
IMPORTANT TIPS FOR DIET FOR KIDNEY STONE PATIENTS
These tips can be applicable to all types of kidney stones.
- Make sure you consume lots of water throughout the day. Nothing could be better than water for avoiding kidney stones.
- While calcium is extremely important for the body, you must make sure that its intake does not become excessive. In order to avoid such situations, make sure you consume it through natural food items and not through supplements.
- Avoid high doses of vitamin C supplements as it may produce meow oxalate in the body which definitely isn’t ideal for kidney stone patients.
- Avoid carbonated drinks. It is high in phosphate as well as another chemical which can promote the formation of kidney stones.
- Reduce or eliminate added sugar intake. Sugar present in drinks and other food items can be harmful. Natural sugar found in fruits is ideal for health.
- Say no to alcohol as it may dehydrate your body.
Kidney stones can be hard to deal with. However, learning certain kidney stone diet tips and even kidney stone diet recipes can help you overcome this problematic situation in no time. Make sure that you consult a doctor or a dietician to devise an appropriate diet plan for you.